This is the first blog that I have not had to write because of class…I promise that they will come once a week after this. We have just started to get things rolling. Quite a few updates for all to be aware of.
First off, I want to say that I am extremely happy the way the first semester went. Check out the last post before this one if you have yet to see our accomplishments.
– SGA was thrown right into things during our first week of school, as President Volpe, Chuck Mann, and Lovetta Corson-Morgan came to us asking for advice. Hood College has tentative plans to change the look of Coblentz Dining Hall. This will include the cashier being further inside so the line doesn’t go outside during lunch/dinner time. It is possible there will be two swipe sections. Some changes inside Coblentz include: having two stations where the salad/sandwich making stations are now, but they will be changed to pizza making and salad making. There will be workers at the both of those who will be able to make a custom-made pizza/salad for you, although there will be already made ones if you need to get out of the dining hall quickly. The conveyor belt will be removed and tables will be added. The belt will be inserted where the drinks are right now on the left side. Drinks will still be on the right side and also outside where the new stations are located. These plans were supported by SGA and will allow students to enjoy Coblentz a lot more.
– There will also be changes to the Blazer area. The grill area will still be there, but a new franchise called Freshies will be inserted there. The area will be renovated. There will also be another up-scaled coffee shop placed in the library. The SGA supported this and recommended that all four floors of the library be open, although a librarian is not needed in our opinion. The Blazer area may be updated this summer, but it has not been decided if it is feasible at this time. Either way, it will be updated in the summer of 2013. Exciting news.
– The Student Government Association is here for the students. Therefore, we advocate for our students. Programming has been limited, as we have increased organizations by double digits in the past two years. We have exhausted our budget the last two years as well. Because of that, Tyler Fairley and his Finance Committee sat down with CFO Chuck Mann and presented a budget increase of $37,500. The presentation to him was professional, and because of that, Tyler will be presenting our proposal to the Planning and Budgeting committee. This is great, because it is the first time in many years, and possibly the first time ever, that a student has presented to that committee. We are excited and grateful for the opportunity. If we do receive the money, it will be breaking and exciting news for all campus organizations, classes, and residence halls.
– SGA is in the midst of some internal changes, and we are going to be making our final recommendations in late-February or the beginning of March to the students. Some of these changes will affect how things are run on this campus, and we believe we are creating positive change in doing so. More info to come out on that.
– There is a student representative, Katie Hays, our Academic Affairs Chair, on the first-year seminar pilot program that has been introduced by the faculty and Provost. We are excited to have a representative on that and are happy that the students will have a voice when it comes to decisions being made in that regard.
– In other news, SGA is looking to revive a Hood Tradition that has been lost. Does anyone have recommendations?
– I am looking to present a Last Lecture at the end of my presidency, as I have been through many experiences, and I want to pass them off to others. More information will come out about this, but I look for everyone’s support in attending this later in the school year.
I know…a long update. That is what has been going on, and there is plenty more to talk about in the next post. Our next SGA Senate meeting is Valentines Day, February 14th at 9 p.m. Hope to see people who love Hood come and talk about what they think we should be working on.
Sincerely, Your Student Body President,
Speak Up Hood College, SGA Has Your Back